Monday, November 16, 2009

Golf in November?!

Well, it is the middle of November and I played golf in 70 degree weather today! I could get used to this. I finalized a membership today at a great course that was designed by Hale Irwin. It is a very challenging track and is in great shape. It also has a great practice facility. I now have a place to hang my hat and get to work!

I am also a member at a gym down here. It is very important in the game of golf to stay in good physical shape. This is required to be able to perform at your full potential.

I have also been doing a lot of reading and listening to information regarding the mental aspect of the game. Someone once said "Golf is 90% mental and 10% physical". Being mentally tough for a 5 hour round is a hard thing to master. I am learning how to zone in when it is time to hit a shot and also how to become fully relaxed when I am walking in between them. I have some audio CD's by Bob Rotella, that are teaching me how to implement these things into my game. Another key aspect that he stresses is strong visualization. I don't think I have had to visualize so many things in my life as I have since I started his curriculum!

Besides the game itself, the other big aspect of becoming a professional golfer is being able to market yourself. Golf is not like all of the other professional sports in the sense that I did not receive a signing bonus or a long term contract. For me to chase my dream, it takes a lot of support. All of my golf related expenses are not covered by a billionaire team owner as they are in other sports. I am responsible for finding the means to fund all of my expenses. Most golfers, such as Rich Beem, partnered with members of their community to fund their dream. I am in the process of putting together a group of partners to help me reach my goal. Throughout the next few weeks, I will be spending half my time on the course and half my time reaching out to potential partners to join this group.

I want to thank everyone who has contributed gifts, as well as those that have committed to become a partner. It truly means the world to know you are behind me and believe in me.

Now that I am getting fully acclimated to Charlotte, check back often because my blog updates will be more frequent.

God Bless!