Thursday, February 25, 2010

Wow!

Today was the worst wind that I have ever played competitive golf in. It was gusting around 40 mph and then some. It was also a very long day. I got to the course at a little before 8:00, found out there was a 40 minute delay, so my tee time was now 9:20. I got out there and played 4 holes, then they suspended play due to unplayable conditions. We all thought they were going to cancel the day and scratch what we had done, and start over tomorrow. Instead, we sat in a delay from 11:00-3:00. They then sent us back out, and it was windier then when they suspended play, and we played until 6:00. This created a lot of frustration among the players in the morning wave. The reason why is that the conditions were basically unplayable, and the afternoon wave didn't have to play in it. I know sometimes that is just the way the cookie crumbles, but if it is unplayable, like I felt it was today, then it's not fair.
The reason I felt it was unplayable, and the reason they suspended play in the first place, is because the ball was getting blown around on the greens. There was one time where I marked my ball and had it blown a foot farther away from the hole when I replaced it. I then had to play it from where it blows to.
Secondly, you could never set your putter on the ground because if you set down your putter behind the ball, and the ball moves, it is a penalty. If you hover your putter, then it doesn't count as addressing the ball.
But, oh well, what can you do I guess. There was a par 5 today that is 530 straight into the wind. I went driver, driver, and had 90 yards left. I then hit 9 iron and didn't get to the green. I usually hit a 9 iron around 145-150 yards.
Well, I am 3 over through 14 holes. I am EXTREMELY happy with that. At the course I was at, I only heard of 1 lower score. So, things are improving. I am very happy with the improvements I am making. I am continually learning to better play this game professionally and I am also learning a lot by watching the guys I play with. I feel more and more comfortable every time I go out there. I am very excited about the direction things are headed.
I am probably not going to make the cut, but it's ok. I am very happy about things and will keep working hard.